Did you know?
More than 10% of the 200,000 residents of the Chippewa Valley function at the lowest level of literacy, Level 1. An adult with Level 1 literacy skills often cannot perform daily tasks that many of us take for granted: reading the label on a prescription bottle, filling out a job application, totaling an entry on a bank deposit slip, or reading a simple story to a child. This inability to function in modern society is a significant cause of poverty for many Chippewa Valley families struggling to support themselves.
Who are our students?
- English as a Second Language (ESL) ~ We focus on the learner’s literacy needs. ESL students are generally immigrants to the United States and may be at different levels of English proficiency.
- Adult Basic Education (ABE) ~ We concentrate on the literacy goals of the learner but since English is their native language, sessions focus on expanding vocabulary, phonetics and other areas that need improvement.
How can I help?
Become a volunteer with us! Even if you only have an 1-2 hours a week you can volunteer with LVCV. We have a place for YOU!
- One-to-one or Small Group Tutor: Work as a personal tutor with one of our students or a small group. Attend our certified training classes
- General Open lab (Tutor/Assistant): Assist during open lab sessions in Eau Claire, Chippewa or Dunn Counties. Open labs are a drop in time for students to get assistance.
- Math and Technology Open Lab: Assist Thursday mornings in the Eau Claire office for the math and technology open lab. Students during this time focus on computer and math skills that can vary from arithmetic to online resume submission.
- Jail Tutor/Assistant: Help in any of our county jails. You will be working with our teacher(s) and personal tutors to help students meet their literacy goals.
- Family Literacy Tutor/Assistant: Work with adults who are learning English with the direction of our lead adult teachers.
- Family Literacy Child Care Assistant: Work with children ages 2-5 years under the direction of our lead early childhood education teachers.
- Special Event Assistant: Assist with preparation for special events such as our annual MargaREADaville or Scrabble Bee. Duties can vary from planning and organization to event set up and break down.
- Office Aide: Volunteer to help with clerical duties such as filing, typing, and office organization.
Please call or e-mail Cheryl Sutter at (715) 834-0429